Lip wrinkles, which are sometimes called lip lines, lipstick lines, or smoker’s lines, are the little vertical lines that form on the lips of older adults. These lines are notoriously difficult to conceal. Getting rid of your lip lines, rather than trying to cover them up, can easily take 10 years off your face.
After age 20, you produce about 1% less collagen every year. As collagen production decreases, the skin becomes thinner and less elastic. The lips, which are typically puffy during youth, become noticeably deflated as you age.
Aging skin also produces less oil and is prone to dryness due to their constant exposure to the sun. This is called photoaging.
Lip wrinkles on the upper lip are often caused by smoking. Smoking produces free radicals in the body, which contribute to premature aging. Lip wrinkles may also be contributed to pursing of the lips associated with drinking through a straw or repetitive facial expressions.
How to improve and reduce the look of lip lines?
At Derma Cosmetika, there are several smoker’s lines treatment options available such as:
- Plasma Fibroblast is another great treatment option which stimulates collagen, shrinks and tightens skin with one week of downtime. Unlike other filler types, the plasma pen ensures lifting and tightening the skin between wrinkles to smoothen out the smoker’s lines
- Ultrasound (HIFU) which is also an effective way for collagen stimulation and skin tightening with no downtime.
- Skin needling is a collagen induction and skin tightening treatment with no down time. The procedure is both fast and effective, with the results continuing to improve over the next few weeks.
Apart from the treatments we conduct, taking certain precautions to keep the effects from deteriorating is essential. Here’s what we recommend:
- Use sunblock with SPF 50+ at least once or twice on a daily basis.
- Apply creams and serums that stimulate collagen and contain antioxidants.
- Avoid smoking at least 8 weeks prior to your treatment. If you can avoid smoking altogether for life, you’re bound to see even more effective and lasting results.
A vital point to note is that the type of smoker’s lines treatment we carry out at our cosmetic clinic in Melbourne is not the only factor determining the longevity of the results in your case. The severity of the wrinkles, your skin type, and your genetics, all play a crucial role.